Wednesday, June 17, 2015

How Low Can You Go?

T-Barrel Aquaponic System
Since I transplanted my Aquaponic Strawberries outdoors, I also removed one of the overhead fluorescent lighting ballasts indoors. This cut lighting energy use from 128 to 64 watts. The lights are still powered for 16 hours each day. Since I'm not trying to make anything bloom or fruit, I'd see how low I could go.

How are they doing? The plants' growth is slower, and color is generally more faded, as expected. Still, most seem to be growing without getting too leggy.

Single fluorescent 4' ballast with two 32 watt bulbs

Cilantro under the window

Tatsoi (a.k.a. Spinach Mustard) pale but growing well under the window

Rosemary always doing fine

Sheep Sorrel hanging on

Apple Mint going crazy

Spring Onion cutting grew back and ready to cut again

Wild Dill pulled from garden & doing well

Sorrel showing mad growth
(Front) Cilantro under lights is faded; (Back) Wild Mustard under window is faded but growing well

Wild Mustard transplants under overhead lights are growing slowly
Although you can't beat Aquaponics for reusing water in gardening, there's just no substitute for the color and flavor of growing plants in full sun. Check out this Wild Mustard growing next to the house on the South side.
Massive Outdoor Wild Mustard 
Maybe it's time to move my system outside?

No comments: